BODIE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

Bodie Island Lighthouse Facts

In 1843, the Federal Government examined the coastline for potential lighthouse sites that would supplement Cape Hatteras and determined that they were in great need of a beacon near Bodie Island because “more vessels are lost there than on any other part of our coast”. In 1871 the lighthouse as we see it today was built. It was lit on October 1, 1872, magnified by a powerful First Order Fresnel lens. Today the light station’s property, except the tower, has been transferred to the National Park Service. The tower still functions as a U S Coast Guard navigational aid.

10×8 Signed Poster  - $20

28×22 Signed Poster  - $30


Back To Lighthouse Prints