FIRE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

Fire Island Lighthouse Facts

The first lighthouse built on Fire Island was completed in 1826 and was 74 feet high. The new tower was completed and lit on November 1, 1858 and stands 168 feet tall. The lighthouse was decommissioned as a navigational aid on December 31, 1973. Between 1974 and 1980, private citizens grouped together in a call to save the Fire Island Lighthouse. In 1982, the Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society was formed. They successfully raised over 1.3 million dollars needed for the restoration and preservation of the lighthouse. In 1984, the lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. After extensive restoration, on May 28, 1986, the Fire Island Lighthouse was once again reinstated as an official navigational aid.

10×8 Signed Poster  - $20

22×28 Signed Poster  - $30


Back To Lighthouse Prints