OCRACOKE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

Ocracoke Lighthouse Facts

Ocracoke Lighthouse is the second oldest operating lighthouse in the nation and the oldest operating lighthouse in North Carolina. The original Ocracoke Lighthouse was built in 1794. In 1822, the federal government purchased 2 acres at the end of Ocracoke Island for $50 as the site for the new lighthouse. It was finished in 1823 where the tower stands today. Originally lit by whale oil, it was electrified in the early 1900’s. In 1988, it was preserved as a National Historic Landmark. The lighthouse is 75 feet tall. The exterior’s solid white coloration serves as its identifying day mark to mariners.

10×8 Signed Poster  - $20

28×22 Signed Poster  - $30


Back To Lighthouse Prints