BALD HEAD LIGHT (OLD BALDY) LIGHTHOUSE

Originally built in 1817, Old Baldy Lighthouse is North Carolina’s oldest standing lighthouse.  It is located on Bald Head Island, at the junction of the Cape Fear River, the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean.  Bald HeadLight, completed in 1795, was the first lighthouse to grace Smith Island’s shores.  Situated on the banks of the Cape Fear River, its purpose was to mark the entrance of the river for maritime sailors.  It was threatened by erosion due to its location and it was demolished by the Wilmington Custom’s Office in 1813.  Plans were in place to replace it and the replacement was built in 1817, using bricks from the original lighthouse.  The tower was assembled in sections of cast iron and steel that were transported via tram railway to the remote site.  It became known as “Old Baldy”.

 

10×8 Signed Poster  - $20

28×22 Signed Poster  - $30


Back To Lighthouse Prints