ORIENT POINT LIGHTHOUSE

Nicknamed “The Coffee Pot” because of it’s original brown and white color, it is similar in design to a number of other lighthouses built around the same time, also known as “sparkplug” lighthouses.  It is situated in the narrow cut between Orient Point and Plum Island known as Plum Gut.  Construction of the lighthouse began in October of 1898 and finished in November of 1899.  It sits on a pier of riprap that is 25′ wide at it’s base and 32′ tall.  The tower itself is 45′ tall.  The first beacon was a fifth order fresnel lens but soon replaced by a fourth order in May of 1900.  In 1988 the old fresnel lens was replaced with a modern optic lighting system that operates on solar power and batteries.

 

10×12 Signed Poster  - $25

 

Back To Lighthouse Prints