PORTLAND HEAD LIGHTHOUSE

Portland Head Light Facts

Portland Head Light is Maine’s oldest lighthouse. In January of 1791, Portland Head first shone its light but has been raised and lowered several times over the years. Longfellow, inspired by this lighthouse wrote the words, “a dim, gigantic shape, Holding its lantern o’er the restless sea”, in his famous poem, The Lighthouse. Begun in 1787 construction was quickly stopped due to lack of money. Shortly after 1789, under George Washington, the federal government took over the operation and construction of lighthouses and Congress authorized $1500 to finish Portland Head Light.

8×10 Signed Poster  - $20

22×28 Signed Poster  - $30


Back To Lighthouse Prints