ROUND ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

The waters around the Straits of Mackinac are filled with islands and reefs making traffic between Lakes Huron, Michigan at times difficult. While the construction of the Old Mackinac Point Light in 1892 eased the situation, the Lighthouse Board asked Congress for funds to aid the Mackinac Light with a second light to be located on a shoal off Round Island.  Congress approved $15,000 for the construction of a second light in 1894.  Construction was completed on a three-story red brick building, set on a forty-foot square concrete pier.  The first floor held the boiler and compressors for the steam-operated foghorn. The second and third floor were used by the keeper as a kitchen, living and dining area. The third floor held the bedrooms and provided access to the tower and lantern room, which was equipped with a Fourth Order Fresnel Lens. The lamp rotated using a clockwork mechanism, powered by hanging weights built into a wall pocket. This pocket extended down through all three floors and each floor provided with a weight access door.

After the Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the Nation’s lighthouses in 1939  Round Island Passage Light was erected off the harbor breakwater on Mackinac Island in 1947 and Round Island Light was no longer necessary as a navigational aid. Round Island became part of the Hiawatha National Forest in 1958, and became Park property. The Mackinac Island Society came up with funds to maintain the exterior  and in 1974 the lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation appropriated $125,000 in 1977 to help with the restoration and today, the exterior of the Round Island Light is very close to how it looked during its active days. Still serving as an active aid to navigation, a modern lantern now guides mariners passing through the Straits.

8×10 Signed Poster  - $20

22×28 Signed Poster  - $30


Back To Lighthouse Prints